KRKA WATERFALLS TOUR
Krka Waterfalls national park is by far our most popular tour and we are happy to have created such an interesting and fulfilling day for all your senses. Our Krka Falls tours usually start from Split, but we organize the tours from other towns such as Omis, Trogir, Sibenik, Podstrana, Stobrec and Kastela.
Krka Tours are very popular among our guests since they include a drive to the national park Krka, visit of the town of Sibenik and St.James cathedral under UNESCO’s protection, a visit to the largest travertine barrier in Europe – Skradinski Buk, a Krka river boat ride to Skradin and a visit to local winery with wine tasting.
Our Krka Tour is the top rated among Krka National park Tours on TripAdvisor, Viator and Expedia and we always try to find a new way to show you our nation’s pride and joy.
When we talk about attractions Krka river has to offer, we need to mention that the National Park hosts many cultural monuments and natural wonders. These are the archaeological sites, monuments of industrial architecture, as well as monuments of religious heritage. Visitors are very interested in ethno village that preserves the memory of the old crafts and ways of life. We bring you a description of the most important objects of cultural heritage in the area of the river Krka.
Roman military camp Burnum on Krka river
Burnum is located near the village Ivoševci, nearby Kistanje. It was built in the first century and today the remains of arches that belonged to the military headquarters building can be seen, as well as a well-preserved amphitheater. It was built at the turn of the old into the new era, at the strategic and important position from which to control the river crossing and it served as a place for commencing military action towards the coast, all the way to the northern frontier of the Roman state. The camp hosted XI legion of the Roman army, which since 42 years AD had the honorary title Claudia Pia Fidelis and after its withdrawal was replaced by IV legion, so called Flavia Felix. Especially visible today are remains of arches that belonged building pretoria (camp command). Recent studies in the military camp have discovered a spacious amphitheater and an abundance of archaeological material, which suggests that the camp was created in the times of Claudius and was expanded and redecorated in Vespasian’s time. A monumentally beautiful inscription from 76/77 year AD was found, which stood at the front, over the southern entrance to the amphitheater and this clearly confirms the donation of Emperor Vespasian.
With the departure of the military camp, due to favorable infrastructure of the site, a city of municipal rank was created, which played an important role until late antiquity. It had a great shrine, amphitheater, aqueduct, paved roads and streets and other urban features. Its walls endured many difficult battles and at the end of the 5th century, in the era of Gothic-Byzantine wars, the city was taken by Ostrogoths. Burnum amphitheater belongs to amphitheaters with four inputs by type. It partially exploits the natural situation of the terrain, in this case a rock sinkhole, which proved to be very convenient for the builders. It is unknown how big an audience it could accommodate, but probably between 6 and 10 thousand visitors.
This prehistoric site is located at the top of the canyon, above the Roski waterfall. Numerous traces of human presence were found there (fragments of pottery vessels, stone artifacts, human skeletons – definitely great site between the attractions Krka has to show). Ozidana cave is named after the narrow opening between walls at the entrance of a steep cliff. This is a geological installation, medium in size, with simple morphology, a tunnel shape and 59 meters long, 5-7 wide, about 2.5 meters high, in the back of the two “chimneys” 8-10 meters high. It is situated on the left bank of Krka River, above the Roški waterfall in the area Bogatić Miljevci, at the very top of the canyon on an altitude of 220 m. The opening is facing the southwest and it is in the midst of twenty meters high vertical cliffs, offering a view of the deep gorge of the river, where there are many beautiful small waterfalls, forming a series of so-called necklaces. It was designed by the layers of conglomerates.
The entrance to the cave, measuring 5 by 2 meters, is visible from the opposite side of the river. The cave is dry even during the heavy rainfalls: it has only a few visible leaks, which dripping from the stone ceiling form the lower tubular stalactites and on the floor “fuzzy” stalagmites. In the cave a large number of fragments of pottery vessels was found, that clearly outlines the presence of Neolithic cultures in the Adriatic area, which indicates human presence in Ozidana cave of about 5000 years.
Krka Monastery (St Archangel)
North of the Roški waterfall, situated on the small expansion of the Krka River called “Carigradska Draga”, is Krka Monastery. It was built on the foundations of an older, eremitical monastery, and in written documents was first mentioned in 1402 as an endowment of Jelena Čubić. This is one of the most important spiritual center of the Orthodox Dalmatian Eparchy based in Šibenik.
Monastery of St Archangel is located in the middle of the Krka canyon, and this area is called Arandjelovac after it. Nearby is a church that has a form of byzantine buildings with a dome. The bell tower was built in the Romanesque style. Under the church are the Roman catacombs, which are open to visitors. The monastery has a large and rich library with a lot of historical manuscripts, incunabula and rare books. Tourists can visit the monastery by excursion boat from Roški waterfall.
Hydro Power Plant on Krka river
The remains of the former power plant “Krka” can be found at Skradinski buk in the middle of the Krka National Park. It was built and began operations in 1895, just two days after Tesla’s hydroelectric power plant at Niagara Falls. Along with it a transmission line for power transmission 11 km in length was built and the city electrical lighting network – the first complete electricity system in Croatia. Thus, thanks to its builders Šibenik Mayor Ante Šupuk and engineer Vjekoslav Meischner, Šibenik got electric lighting before many European cities: Budapest, Rome, Vienna, London and others. This is probably the most important between many attractions krka has to offer. If you like to visit this monument you are welcome to join us on our Krka Waterfalls tour from Split.
Ten years later, a hundred meters downstream from the first, Ante Šupuk built a second hydroelectric power station (HEP “Jaruga”) which, with installation of additional turbines in 1936, has been working until today. Because of its historical significance, hydropower plants “Krka” are protected as a monument to industrial architecture and there is ongoing conservation work aimed at its preservation and presentation.
Located on Lake Visovac, island Visovac is one of the most important natural and cultural values of Croatia and one of the best attractions Krka has to offer. At this small island the followers of St Augustine built a monastery and church in the fourteenth century. Later they left the island due to threats of the Turkish Empire. After them the island was inhabited by Bosnian Franciscans who have remained there with brief interruptions until today. Franciscan Monastery of the Mother of Mercy and church of Our Lady of Visovac form unique scenery with beautiful view of Visovačko Lake. During the turbulent history, Visovac was and remains an island of peace and prayer, a Franciscan monastery fortress of spirituality and faith, but also one of the key foundation stones of Croatians and the preservation of the Croatian national identity.
The monastery has an important archaeological collection, a collection of ecclesiastical vestments and vessels, and a rich library with more valuable books and incunabula. The center of worship is the painting of Our Lady of Visovac which was, according to tradition, brought by the Franciscans when they, in front of the Turks, left Bosnia and found new shelter on Visovac. Due to the century of reverence of the Mother of God, even Visovac island is sometimes called Our Lady’s Island.
In the area of the river Krka, Croatian dukes erected very famous fortress-cities during the Middle Ages. Today only a handful of ruins with some visible towers and walls which testify to their former size have been preserved.
Even those sites are not included in our regular Krka Waterfalls tours it is nice to be aware that the river Krka hold’s beautiful medieval settlements.
The fortresses on the Krka river were built on both its right and left sides. In addition to occasionally having a defensive function, these fortifications are the core of particular settlements.
Croatian aristocratic family Šubić had built a fort Trošenj-city and Rogovo on the right bank of the river. The fortifications on the left bank of the Krka River Nečven, Bogočin and Kamičak were in the possession of other Croatian noble families: Nelipići, Martinušići, Bogetići, Utješinovići and Mišljenovići.
The most beautiful among fortresses, Ključica, was in the possession of a nobleman Nelipić, raised above the canyon of the river Čikola.
Ključica is the largest and best-preserved medieval fortress in the Krka National Park. It was built by Croatian nobles Nelipići in the thirteenth century on the canyon of the river Čikola to protect their land from the rival noble family Šubić.
Due to its strategic location Ključica has often been a source of conflict between its masters and tradesmen from Šibenik city. The Nelipići who owned the castle nearby were charging the bridge toll, which disturbed traders.
In 1546 the fortress was occupied by the Turks who owned it until 1648, when they were finally expelled. Since then Ključica has been abandoned and no one has lived there ever again.
Bogočin (Vilin grad)
The remains of a medieval fortress Bogočin can be seen on the left bank of the river Krka, on a remote cliff, near the village Bogatić. The fortress was most likely built by Croatian nobles Nelipići, and then owned by aristocratic family Martinušić and after that by family Bogetić.
A single, but perfectly preserved medieval road leads to Bogočin, while the fort itself is reached via a suspension bridge. At the beginning of sixteenth century, the fort was occupied by the Turksand remained in their hands until 1684.
One of the medieval fortresses on the Krka river is Trošenj. Situated on the right bank of the river Krka, opposite to Nečven. It used to be owned by Croatian aristocratic family Šubić, which entirely ruled the right bank of Krka. It was probably built for the protection and control of the strategically important bridge on which a toll was collected.
The Turkish army occupied Trošenj in 1522 and located their military camp in it and built a tower of circular shape. By the advances of Venetian army in this region in 1686, the Turks were expelled, and the fort was demolished to a large extent.
Between the medieval fortresses on the Krka river is also the fortification caled Nečven. Built at the edge of the cliff on the left bank of the Krka. Judging by the style of construction, Nečven combines had both defensive and representative role. Its first masters were Nelipići, owners of the entire Prominska-Miljevci area.
It was in their possession until 1421 and after that it comes into the possession of the noble family Martinušić. In early sixteenth century Nečven was conquered by the Turksand remained in their hands until 1688. The Turks led a military camp in the fortress and turned it into the headquarters of the district, and then of the whole surrounding municipality. After the departure of the Turks, Nečven was burned and almost demolished.
The remains of a medieval fortress Kamičak are located near the village Brištane, between Roški waterfall and Visovačko Lake. The city, surrounded by a circular rampart, was additionally fortified by a four-sided tower on the west side.
Findings indicate that the interior was filled with houses. The only way to approach the fort was via the narrow path cut into the cliff on the south side. According to historical records from 1345 Croatian-Hungarian king Ludovic confirmed the heritage right of Ivan Nelipić over Kamičak.
After Turkish invasions and their occupation of the entire area, Kamičak has lost importance and has since been abandoned. Kamičak is popularly called Utješinovića city and the first Croatian cardinal Juraj Utješinović was born there in 1482. Marko Mišljenović was also born here, who was appointed Croatian ban in 1506 by the Croatian-Hungarian king Ladislav.
Today also known as the Uzdaj kula (tower), it is located on a high plateau whose northwestern part steeply integrates into the deep valley leading to river Krka, north of the village of Dubravice in Skradin’s hinterlands.
It was built as an estate of noble family Šubić. Within the high defensive walls there was a round tower. Only remnants of a once strong fortification can be seen today.